Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Aldo R. Boccaccini (Lehrstuhlleiter)
Tel.: 09131 85-28601
"Highly cited researcher"
Kurzer Lebenslauf: (ausführliche Version)
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Aldo R. Boccaccini
Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Aldo R. Boccaccini is Professor of Biomaterials and Head of the Institute of Biomaterials at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
Prior to this appointment, he was Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, UK (2000-2009).
He has remained Visiting Professor of Materials at Imperial College London.
He is also visiting professor at Nagoya Institute of Technology (Japan), RWTH Aachen University (Germany) and Universidad Nacional de Cuyo (Argentina).
Boccaccini holds a MEng degree from Instituto Balseiro (Argentina), PhD (Dr-Ing.) from RWTH Aachen University (Germany) and Habilitation from Ilmenau University of Technology (Germany).
Before joining Imperial College in 2000, he had appointments at the University of Birmingham (UK), the University of California at San Diego (USA) and the Ilmenau University of Technology, Germany.
The research activities of Prof. Boccaccini are in the broad area of glasses, ceramics and polymer/glass composites for biomedical, functional and/or structural applications.
Prof. Boccaccini has also developed the electrophoretic deposition technique for production of nanostructured materials and composites with defined surface topography with potential use in the biomedical field.
He is the author or co-author of more than 450 scientific papers and 15 book chapters.
Boccaccini is Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK) and of the American Ceramic Society.
He is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal “Materials Letters” (Elsevier) and serves in the editorial board of several recognized international journals including Journal of Materials Science, J. Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, International Materials Review, J. Biomaterials Applications, Advanced Engineering Materials, Advances in Applied Ceramics, Key Engineering Materials and J. Mater. Processing Technology.
He has been a visiting professor at different universities around the world, including Japan, Italy, Singapore, Germany, Argentina, Poland. Boccaccini has been member of the organizing committee of numerous international conferences and he is the founder of the International Conferences Series on Electrophoretic Deposition (sponsored by Engineering Conferences International) having served as the Chairman of the 4 conferences of the series held so far in Canada (2002), Italy (2005), Japan (2008) and Mexico (2011).
Selected achievements in academia and for the scientific community, awards and indicators of esteem
- Adolf-Martens Prize, Adolf-Martens-Fonds, Berlin, Germany, 2000
- Review Paper Award, Ceramic Society of Japan, 2000.
- Verulam Medal and Prize in recognition of distinguished contributions to ceramics, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London (UK), 2003.
- Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS) “Materials Science and Technology Prize 2003”
- Elected Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (UK), 2004.
- Member, EPSRC Peer Review College, UK, since 2003.
- Member of the European Continental Council of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS), 2005-2010.
- Member of two Technical Committees of the International Commission on Glass (ICG):
Glass for Medicine and Biotechnology (since 2004) and Vitrification of Radioactive and Hazardous Waste (since 2006).
- Imperial College Ambassador, 2006-2009.
- Rector’s Award for Excellence in Research, Imperial College London, 2007.
- Member advisory committee, International Scientific Cooperation, Ministry of Science and Technology of Argentina, since 2008
- Co-Chairman, EUROMAT 2009 conference, Glasgow, UK.
- Editor-in-Chief, Materials Letters (Elsevier) (from 2010)
- Ivor Jenkins Medal, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, UK (2010)
- Member of the Executive Board of “Medical Valley European Metropolitan Region Nuremberg e.V.”, since 2010.
- Representative of Germany to the Management Committee of COST action MP1005, since 2011.
- Affiliate member, Engineering Conferences International Conferences Committee, New York, USA, 2011
- Elected Fellow of the American Ceramic Society, 2011
- McMahon Lecture Award, Alfred University, USA, 2011
- Elected Member of the Reviewer Panel, German Science Foundation (DFG), 2011
- Featured in Biggerbrains campaign (Elsevier Publisher), 2012
- Member, Materials Science and Engineering Expert Committee, European Science Foundation, 2012
- “RAICES” Award, Ministry of Science and Technology (MinCyT) of Argentina, 2013
- Chairman, Annual Conference of the German Society of Biomaterials (DGBM), 2013.
- Fall Lecture 2013 at the Institute of Ceramics and Glass of Madrid, Spain, 2013.
- "Materials Best Paper Award 2014-Category Reviews", journal Materials, 2014.
- Highly cited researcher listed in “2014 Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher” and included in Thomson Reuters’ report: "2014 The World's Most Influential Scientific Minds".
- Chairman, 6th International Workshop on Advanced Ceramics, Erlangen, Germany, 28-30 September 2014.
- Co-Chair, International Conference on Geopolymers, Hernstein, Austria, May 24-29, 2015.
- Award for excellence in materials research (DGM Prize), German Materials Society (DGM), 2015
- Elected member of the Council of the European Society for Biomaterials (ESB), 2015
- Elected member of the World Academy of Ceramics (WAC), 2015